Monday, July 13, 2009

Waiting for Godot: ACR #5 – Swiss – The Draft

WaitingForGodotSmallest Thanks to everyone for the feedback and comments on the column so far; there’s nothing more motivating than an engaged audience. After considering reader comments to last column and discussing things with the fine folks at PureMTGO, I’m going to achieve a more sustainable approach by, when necessary, presenting walkthrough columns in two parts. Typically this will mean a Draft/Round 1 and Round 2/Round 3 split, but I’m going to take it case-by-case and divide it where it makes sense.

This approach starts today, so if you prefer to have an ending before you begin, check back in a week. If you are OK with half now and half later, stick around and let’s get to drafting.

In the interest of full disclosure before I begin, though: the first four articles represented my first four Alara-block drafts, but I played in two Alara drafts between those and the one in this column. One Swiss where I ended up 2-1, and one 84 where I first-picked (Sharuum of the Hegemon), forced Esper for it, but the competition for artifacts was fierce and I ended up with a mediocre deck that went 0-2 in one fairly interesting game and one quick blowout. For the record, no game contained a play that would have been different under M10 rules.

Perhaps writing up that Sharuum draft would help with my length concerns, but I just don’t think it was as interesting as the draft I’m presenting today, and “interesting” is what will dictate the choice when I have multiple drafts available.

The Draft

Pack 1 pick 1:

I really intended to screen cap the first pick for insurance this time! I jumped in with the Swiss queue at 3 or 4, went to get a beverage, and returned to P1P1 up and seven seconds left on my clock! The queue had to have filled right after I left. The rare was (Sedraxis Specter), and I saw my old friend (Naya Charm) among the uncommons. I ctrl-clicked the charm and began glancing at the rest of the pack, but my clock ran out. I’m pretty sure there weren’t any of the obvious common first picks like (Oblivion Ring), as I would have caught it even in a quick glance. I’m just glad it didn’t take me seven seconds longer to fetch a beverage.
 

Pack 1 pick 2: 

  

My Pick:

I take the druid over the panorama in a fairly weak Naya pack. If the (Grixis Charm) weren't two shards over I might consider it, but shipping (Sedraxis Specter) and (Grixis Charm) in my first two picks will hopefully put a close neighbor into a distant shard.

 

Pack 1 pick 3:

My Pick:

That's nice to see, I'm feeling on the right path with that pick.

 

Pack 1 pick 4:

 

My Pick:

Excuse me?! P4 (Tower Gargoyle)? Right on the heels of my super-dry Esper 84, too. This is going to be a draft where I see a stupid-sick Esper deck going around that nobody seems to want, isn't it? I consider heeding the signal and taking the gargoyle, but the (Bloodpyre Elemental) is just good enough to keep me on-shard. Anyone bail into Esper on this pick?


Pack 1 pick 5:

 

My Pick:

I wonder if the (Sunseed Nurturer) is the better pick here. The elf is a random filler card, but the nurturer can really help Naya out of the board against more aggressive or evasion-heavy opponents. Bailing into Esper offers the (Metallurgeon), and is a possible pick for Naya, but Naya doesn’t need glorified (Drudge Skeletons) when it ought to be dropping the fatties (Metallurgeon) is supposed to hold back.

 

Pack 1 pick 6:

 

My Pick:

Pump over the (Welkin Guide). The Esper path takes the (Kathari Screecher).

 
Pack 1 pick 7:

 

My Pick:

(Ridge Rannet) for me, (Courier’s Capsule) or (Esper Panorama) for the P1P4 (Tower Gargoyle).

 
Pack 1 pick 8:

 

My Pick:

Run-of-the-mill Naya beef.


Pack 1 pick 9:

 

My Pick:

I could use some reach for pesky fliers in the (Jungle Weaver), but fixing seems more important at this point.


Pack 1 pick 10:

 

My Pick:

Looks like Esper would have been pretty open had I swerved with the gargoyle, but that ship has sailed.

 

Remaining Shards Picks:
 
 

Pack 2 pick 1:
 
 

My Pick:

I windmill slam the (Obelisk of Alara), which is harder than it sounds with a mouse. Taking the (Obelisk of Alara) puts me on the lookout for black-splash enablers and black splashes, as I really like to have the removal ability online when I'm fortunate enough to open this bomb. Maybe another (Rupture Spire) will come along.

 
Pack 2 pick 2:

 

My Pick:

Having just decided to look for a way to fit a Swamp into my deck, I take the (Goblin Razerunners) warily. As I mentioned in last week’s comments when asked about passing this guy, the double red is oppressive, and I'm never sure how many lands I'll be willing to give up in mana-hungry Naya running (Obelisk of Alara).


Pack 2 pick 3:

 

My Pick:

When drafting Naya, I have my eye out for anti-Esper cards because it's such a tough matchup, and I'm nearly tempted to take the (Molten Frame) over what will likely be an expensive (Shock) unless I snag some (Veinfire Borderpost)s. (Molten Frame) may table, and if not, I may find other artifact hate, so I take the more universally-useful (Dark Temper). I also like (Aven Squire) in general, but it doesn't feel like a good fit here over instant-speed burn.


Pack 2 pick 4:

 

My Pick:

If I’m looking to splash black, many would prefer the (Grixis Slavedriver) in this spot, but I’ve been underwhelmed by it, both on my team and on my opponent’s. I also overvalue (Matca Rioters) a bit, which is lingering fallout from triple Conflux drafting, where it was usually a 5/5 for me. Still, even in pure Naya, I find the rioters as a 3/3 are a solid bridge to the beefier end of my curve, and in this case, I hope it will play as a 4/4 a lot of the time.


Pack 2 pick 5:

 

My Pick:

Pretty empty pack for pick five. I cut the (Darklit Gargoyle) over the (Sedraxis Alchemist) or (Sludge Strider), because the gargoyle feels like the one that could actually kill me given my current deck.

 
Pack 2 pick 6:

 

My Pick:

(Viashino Slaughtermaster), (Filigree Fracture) or (Dragonsoul Knight) were my options. The slaughtermaster may have been correct, because a "2/1" with partial first strike is OK, and it plays extremely well with the (Resounding Roar) and any (Colossal Might)s I happen to pick up, but I wrote it off without early black mana. (Filigree Fracture) can be such a difference-maker against Esper that I don't hate the pick, though.

 
Pack 2 pick 7:

 

My Pick:

The P2P2 (Goblin Razerunners) has me in a thinking base (mana=G)(mana=R), but I can't pass on the (Gleam of Resistance). (Spore Burst) is solid as well, but fixing first.

 
Pack 2 pick 8:

 

My Pick:

There's an argument for the (Shard Convergence) given my (Obelisk of Alara), but convergence is clunky, and I'd rather look for an (Igneous Pouncer) in Reborn and add another rioters.


Pack 2 pick 9:

 

My Pick:

It’s cutting time again. (Cumber Stone) is not great against Naya, but pesky 3/1 flyers for 2 are.


Pack 2 pick 10:

 

My Pick:

Excellent, I was hoping a (Sylvan Bounty) would come around. With (Gleam of Resistance) and the bounty, one (Igneous Pouncer) and a Swamp would be enough for the black splash. Here's hoping I open a (Bituminous Blast).

 
Pack 2 pick 11:

 

My Pick:

Fantastic, (Molten Frame) and the (Filigree Fracture) make me feel much better about the Esper matchup, and hopefully I can find a (Qasali Pridemage) or (Vithian Renegades) in Reborn.


Final Conflux Picks:

 

Pack 3 pick 1:

 

My Pick:

(Meddling Mage) at 3 tix was on the edge, but I declined the money option. That left (Colossal Might), (Stun Sniper), and (Gloryscale Viashino) for consideration. I prefer (Colossal Might) to (Stun Sniper), but what about (Gloryscale Viashino)? This guy is a poster child for the post-small-set adjustment issues that I touched on regarding (Matca Rioters). In triple-Reborn, he was a certifiable bomb, where, triggered by every spell in the deck, it played like a 6/6 for 4.

Meanwhile, back in this full-block draft, I have exactly two multicolored spells in (Naya Charm) and (Bull Cerodon). The rest of my picks will be gold, and I expect 8+ playables out of this pack, but some will likely be cyclers that won’t trigger the gloryscale. Does that represent enough outlets to make it worth a first pick?

Obviously, I opted for the safer pick,but I’m not sure I was correct.


Pack 3 pick 2:

 

My Pick:

4/4 for 4 with no drawbacks is super-efficient, and it says a lot about the power of Alara Reborn that these guys will sometimes table. Not in this fairly weak pack, though, so I take the brute while I can.

 

Pack 3 pick 3:
 
 

My Pick:

While not (Bituminous Blast), (Slave of Bolas) is a worthwhile splash. With double (Matca Rioters), I would take an (Igneous Pouncer) over a (Veinfire Borderpost) at this point.


Pack 3 pick 4:

 

My Pick:

I really want that (Firewild Borderpost), but I find it difficult to pass (Qasali Pridemage) for fixing.

 
 

Pack 3 pick 5:

 

My Pick:

This pick turns my stomach, thinking back on the (Tower Gargoyle). Was it really a strong enough signal to turn my back on (Naya Charm), (Bull Cerodon), and (Druid of the Anima)? Maybe in this draft it was, arguably, but is it correct in general? Should I pick the (Tower Gargoyle) in that spot in the future?

(Stun Sniper) is a solid addition to my team, though.


Pack 3 pick 6:

 

My Pick:

Sure, let’s ship a 7th pick (Ethersworn Shieldmage) or (Thopter Foundry). Happy to pick up the borderpost, though.

 
Pack 3 pick 7:

 

My Pick:

Sure, stuff the three landcyclers I want into the same pack. I’d like the (Pale Recluse) in particular for anti-flyer support, but the (Igneous Pouncer) is the piece for the black splash I was looking for.


Pack 3 pick 8:

 

My Pick:

I felt my fixing was good enough to take the second (Stun Sniper), here. Agree?


Pack 3 pick 9:

My Pick:

That’s a late (Putrid Leech), but it’s really a Jund-only card. I’ll take the playable (Naya Sojourners).


Pack 3 pick 10:

 

My Pick:

I cut the Esper card that, on a good draw, can throw down with Naya creatures.


Pack 3 pick 11:
 
 

My Pick:

I would take the (Naya Hushblade) if I didn’t have two (Stun Sniper)s. Naya has the worst blade, though, and (Zap) plays well with pingers.


Pack 3 pick 12:

 

My Pick:

Sure, let’s make it a mini-theme.


Final Alara Reborn Picks:

This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!

 

The Deck

 

In Editor

image

The (Obelisk of Alara) is an obvious bomb, and there’s a solid deck behind it. I have a four-source black splash, which is really the minimum I'm comfortable with. Only the (Slave of Bolas) has to have the black, the (Matca Rioters) and (Obelisk of Alara) just like to have black. Let’s take it for a spin.

1 comment:

sstadnicki said...

Grammar in paragraph 2: 'I just don’t think it was as interesting than the draft...' should be either 'as interesting as' or 'more interesting than', but it looks like you got caught halfway between.

I think this is a little *too* sparse compared to your other drafts; a lot of the picks are no-brainers, but there are a few interesting picks in the later packs (hating Gargoyle vs. hating Sludge Strider -- at least it's a chance to talk about that nutty Esper deck; Fracture vs. Slaughtermaster; the Slave pick, and the Pridemage after; etc.) that I'd love to see at least a little commentary on. Thoughts on the draft itself, of course, I'll save for the post. :-)