Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Waiting for Godot: M10 #2

WaitingForGodotSmallest

My apologies for making the name of my column so literal of late, but the 70-hour work weeks I've undergone for the last month have annihilated my Magic time, both playing and writing.

Hopefully I'm out of the woods and ready for regular columns again, but if things aren't as done as I think they are with my work project, apologies in advance if I leave you waiting for Godot again next week.

I left things last time on the first two picks of my next draft, an M10 84. The first pick was fairly straightforward:

Pack 1 Pick 1:

My Pick:

(Air Elemental) is far and away the best pick in the pack, and it’s unlikely that I’ll see much on the wheel, either.

Pack 1 Pick 2:

This pick generated lots of excellent discussion in the comments, mostly debating (Rise from the Grave) versus (Essence Scatter). Making this pick right now, I would take (Essence Scatter). (Rise from the Grave) is (Clone) for the graveyard, and will only be as good as the best dead creature in the game. (Essence Scatter)’s power level is going to be more even and predictable. It will never be as good at its best as (Rise from the Grave) is at its best, but I like that it is blue, helping cut the color for pack two, and leaving me open to pair blue with any other color based on the signals in the upcoming picks.

As for my pick at the time, I left out a bit of mindset information when I presented the choice for discussion: I went into this draft looking to force white, preferably white-blue.

There is a range to the level of force one can apply to securing a color or archetype in a draft. On the extreme end, you have an all-in mindset where you are unwavering from pick one, taking the best card in your desired archetype regardless of what else is in the pack and sticking to those guns for the next 44 picks.

On the other end of the forcing scale, you have drafting with personal preference. You aren’t going to pass out-of-archetype bombs early on, and maybe not even removal, but you are looking for and hoping for legitimate early picks in your wheelhouse.

I came into this, my third M10 draft, somewhere in the middle of that scale. I’d been looking forward to drafting white from the first time the spoilers were rolling in. When I first started seeing M10 spoilers, white was jumping off the screen for limited. I was drooling over the synergistic soldiers, aggressively-costed flyers, and solid removal littering the common and uncommon slots. Two drafts into M10, I had ended up green-black and green-blue, and I had been beaten soundly by the deck I really wanted to try: (mana=w)(mana=u) flyers or heavy-white soldiers with a touch of blue for card-drawing, flyers, and counters.

Accordingly, my pick:

(Veteran Swordsmith)

My big plan at this point three weeks ago was to go through the rest of this draft and the games, looking at the pros, cons, and techniques of forcing an archetype. Several things came along to derail this. First, work consumed my life, leaving Godot out in the cold. Second, the recent updates to Magic Online broke the replays for this draft. Third, and most painfully, while I was slaving at work, Steve Sadin over at the mothership pretty much wrote the column I was aiming for, right down to a look at Sebastian Thaler's decision to force (mana=w)(mana=u) at Pro Tour Honolulu.

Sigh.

Fine, see if I care. Here's a quick summary of my intended column, then I'm rebooting this thing: I looked like a genius at first, with the next several picks all being great soldier cards. Then white dried up a bit, and I was forced into taking much more defensive cards than I wanted for the soldier archetype, like multiple (Wall of Faith)s that were supposed to be (Palace Guard)s. I ended up with a weird mix of aggro and control, but managed to play it to a 3-0 win in a bunch of close games where I played perfect, mistake-free Magic to narrowly eek out dramatic game-three wins. At least, that's what I assume, I can't view the replays.

Reboot. Hey everyone! Sorry for leaving you waiting for two weeks. I've been pretty busy, but I finally had time this week to sneak in a draft, so let's run through it! I really dislike drafting 43, but with limited time, I needed to play what was ready, and 43 was at 6 while Swiss and 84 were at 0 and 1, so I sucked it up and entered the 43.

Pack 1 Pick 1:

My Pick:

I think I'm covered in (Air Elemental) pheromones or something. Nothing really close, here, and I'm a big fan of (mana=u)(mana=w), so an easy pick.

Pack 1 Pick 2:

My Pick:

I like (mana=u)(mana=w), but I'm shipping a lot of good white downstream here no matter what. I stick with the best blue card, as I can audible into (mana=u)(mana=b), (mana=u)(mana=g) or (mana=u)(mana=r) as I head into the prime signal picks.

Pack 1 Pick 3:

My Pick:

That's pretty signal-y, but also very splashable. If more great red slides to me in the next few picks, I'll be looking (mana=u)(mana=r).

Pack 1 Pick 4:

My Pick:

Hrm. There's lots of playable green in this pack. I would rather move myself into the potential (mana=u)(mana=w) deck, though, than toss (mana=u)(mana=g) into the mix with a card that really wants a high forest count in (Howl of the Nightpack).

Pack 1 Pick 5:

My Pick:

A fine spot for the boring-but-crucial (Horned Turtle), who holds the ground against many of the common creatures in the set while your flyers evade for the win.

Pack 1 Pick 6:

My Pick:

A late (Stampeding Rhino) sends more green signals, but I'm not moving into green at this point. The question remains: (mana=u)(mana=w) or (mana=u)(mana=r)? This is a another vote for (mana=u)(mana=w). (Levitation) isn't really a consideration, it's best in (mana=u)(mana=g), where launching beef that didn't have flying already can win games like a poor-mage's (Overrun).

Pack 1 Pick 7:

My Pick:

Interesting! This is a great signal for me on the blue front and I'm not passing the (Merfolk Looter), who produces card-quality advantage that is tough to beat if left unchecked. If the looter wasn't in the pack and it was between the (Illusionary Servant) and the (Dragon Whelp), though, I'd take the whelp and try for blue-red.

Pack 1 Pick 8:

My Pick:

A late (Wall of Bone), and if I weren't intending to win through the air, I would counterdraft it. There's an argument for taking the (Mind Rot) here as a counterdraft as well.

Pack 1 Pick 9:

My Pick:

I'm generally not a big fan of non-flying, zero-power walls, but (Wall of Faith) is quite playable in (mana=u)(mana=w) flyers, where it advances the clogged-ground agenda quite effectively.

Pack 1 Pick 10:

My Pick:

This is a pretty tough pick for P1P10. I think (Excommunicate) is better in heavy-soldier builds, but it was close between the (Griffin Sentinel) and the (Ponder). I love a couple (Ponder)s in my blue decks, and I'm still not certain I'm in white, though, so I go with (Ponder).

Pack 1 Pick 11:

My Pick:

Goal: before I'm finished drafting M10, draft, run, and win at least one game with (Warp World). (Kindled Fury) is the technically correct pick given that I could be in red still, but I can't see it mattering all that much.

Garbage litters the remaining pack-one picks, so we'll skip to pack two.

Pack 2 Pick 1:

My Pick:

If that (Pacifism) had been a (Lightning Bolt), maybe this draft goes differently, but this is the point at which I plant a stake in (mana=u)(mana=w).

Pack 2 Pick 2:

My Pick:

I saw the (Pacifism) and (Looter) at first and thought I had a pretty tough choice. There are only a handful of cards I take over (Mind Control) when I'm in blue, though, all of them rare.

Pack 2 Pick 3:

My Pick:

Another fairly clear pick. This is quite a deep pack, and I'm hoping I wheel something better than the (Coral Merfolk) from it.

Pack 2 Pick 4:

My Pick:

Despite loving it from the first time I saw it in the spoilers, I haven't actually played a (Wall of Frost) yet, but this is shaping up to be exactly the deck for it.

Pack 2 Pick 5:

My Pick:

The problem with (Mind Spring) is that it is weak at three and four mana, and it takes up your entire turn at five or more. Back on your heels, a (Mind Spring) off the top is not a happy rip, but in a stall with lots of mana, it should win you the game on sheer card advantage.

Is (Mind Spring) a better pick than a simple (Divination) in a base-blue deck that hasn't drafted any card drawing yet? I think so, since I want to be playing card draw in the later turns anyway, but it's closer than one might think.

Pack 2 Pick 6:

My Pick:

I was hoping for a little more clout still left at pick six, but at least it's not empty.

Pack 2 Pick 7:

My Pick:

A solid flyer, and good to see lingering at pick 7 after a light sixth pick.

Pack 2 Pick 8:

This pick was interesting and tough enough to warrant a screen capture, as this is a spot where seeing everything picked so far can impact the decision:

tough pick

My Pick:

I really want some (Essence Scatter)s and I need to bolster my air force for this deck to be good, but a second (Merfolk Looter) doubles the chance that I'll get one into play, which in turn doubles the speed at which I will dig to my (Mind Control), (Air Elemental), and whatever other bombs I may yet draft.

How open is blue?

Pack 2 Pick 9:

My Pick:

I like the (Sage Owl) slightly better than a second (Wall of Faith) at this point, but the best (mana=u)(mana=w) flyer decks don't run any (Sage Owl)s. Strictly filler, it does get better with multiple (Ponder)s.

Pack 2 Pick 10:

My Pick:

I'd prefer a (Palace Guard) at this point, but another turtle might make the cut.

Pack 2 Pick 11:

My Pick:

Great, something better than the (Coral Merfolk) did table from that excellent pack. (Sign in Blood) was taken over the (Deathmark). Hopefully, someone will counterdraft the (Deathmark) before it falls into the hands of someone who can actually use it.

That was the last relevant pick in pack two.

Pack 3 Pick 1:

My Pick:

And the heavens parted! I would be happy to open a P3P1 (Baneslayer Angel) when I'm monoblack, just for the 27 tickets it fetches as of this writing (Rakeslayer Angel?), but to do so when you are already in white just feels like cheating. I really don't get the 27-ticket price tag, though. It dies to (Path to Exile)! It dies to (Doom Blade) and (Shriekmaw)! It has flavorful-but-irrelevant protection! I'm not used to a creature that costs five times as much to cast as the most popular removal that deals with it fetching mid-twenties prices, especially online. I would have predicted it to be a ~15-ticket rare at most, and I still think that's where it will head when supply, demand, and common sense all balance out a bit.

In the meantime, whatever: get in my pile, win me this draft, then finance two more, mmkay?

Pack 3 Pick 2:

My Pick:

To splash or not to splash? On the one hand, (Earthquake) would go great in my deck, and I have a (Lightning Bolt) in my pile already. On the other hand, (Earthquake) also doesn't hurt me too much, and I have no fixing at this point. If I had even a single (Terramorphic Expanse) or a weaker deck shaping up, I would take the (Earthquake) and look out for another (Terramorphic Expanse).

As it is, with no fixing and a strong deck coming together, I decided to focus on making my two-color deck as good as it can be rather than hurting my consistency with a splash. Those more inclined to trade consistency for power can take the (Earthquake) here with my blessing.

Pack 3 Pick 3:

My Pick:

I'm sure many players would be all over the (Rod of Ruin) on this pick, but I'm still not sold on the notion that it is better than merely "solid." Obviously, it wrecks certain decks, but even then, it does so very slowly. Against many decks and boards, it's just incredibly inefficient face damage, or an extra point of damage to factor into combat math. Ironically, (Rod of Ruin)'s inefficient direct damage seems best to me in red, the color of efficient direct damage, where tacking on an extra point lets (Lightning Bolt)s take down angels and (Prodigal Pyromancer)s mow down armies of soldiers. I would ultimately run the rod in most decks at this point, I'm just not on board the "fantastic" wagon with it that many seem to be, and if Villain shows no one-powered targets, (Ice Cage)s, or (Illusionary Servant)s in game one, I would consider benching it for games two and three. Despite my deck being vulnerable to the rod with two (Merfolk Looter)s and an (Illusionary Servant), I decide bolstering my air force while lowering my curve is more important than adding some slow pinging. Anyone vehemently disagree with this pick? Enlighten me in the comments...

Pack 3 Pick 4:

My Pick:

How much worse is (Unsummon) these days? Certainly, bounce has to be the biggest loser in M10 rules, as block, stack, bounce was one of the great uses of (Unsummon) and its ilk. In aggressive blue decks, (Unsummon) is still a source for potentially back-breaking tempo advantage, and it still saves your best men from removal, but I opt for the (Solemn Offering), maindeckable if needed, and fantastic out of the board.

Pack 3 Pick 5:

My Pick:

Fitting to take a (Safe Passage) in a pack where I pass (Windstorm). My first impression of (Safe Passage) was that it was just an improved (Fog), but that was an underestimation. I don't necessarily want a ton of them, but it can really create some combat blowouts and effectively counter some big spells, like (Overrun), (Windstorm), (Pyroclasm), (Fireball), (Earthquake), black spells, etc. Oh, and in a pinch, it can still just be a (Fog).

Pack 3 Pick 6:

My Pick:

Pack 3 Pick 7:

My Pick:

A second (Safe Passage) or a first (Excommunicate)? I'm feeling pretty controllish with this deck, and (Excommunicate) is best in aggro, so I pick the control card.

Pack 3 Pick 8:

My Pick:

Even without the (Earthquake), I'm happy to have some fixing.

Pack 3 Pick 9:

My Pick:

A nice wheel; happy to scoop up a second (Essence Scatter).

Pack 3 Pick 10:

My Pick:

Might make the cut. Nothing else playable comes along, time to put together a deck!

This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy. Visit the draft converter today!

The Deck

In Editor

image

I decide against splashing the (Lightning Bolt), fiddle with the final few cards a bit, then submit.

R1G1

On the draw, I have to make a call on a dreaded 5/2 split opener. Keep it or ship it?

image The (Ponder) makes this a keepable hand for me. It’s most definitely a flood risk, as any five-lander is, but I have a second pull at some action if I (Ponder) up more land. Villain drops a Forest and passes, and naturally I pull a Plains off the top, which is something like a 95% chance when you keep a five-lander. I’ve done the math. Here’s what the (Ponder) brings:

image Ponder this…

A nice sight, giving me action turns two, three, and five, including my bomb, although I will save the (Essence Scatter) for later unless Villain casts something particularly threatening on turn three. Villain makes an (Elvish Visionary) on turn two and passes with no play on turn three with only Forests in play. I cast the (Griffin Sentinel) as planned, leaving me unable to counter Villain’s turn-four (Warpath Ghoul) after finding a Swamp.

I rip a (Stormfront Pegasus) on T4, a nice turn of events which gives me a solid creature play and (Essence Scatter) mana. Villain untaps and swings in with the ghoul. Any block here?

image R1G1 #1

With the (Elvish Visionary) hanging back, (Giant Growth) is unlikely, so it appears to be an offer to trade. There is a good argument for trading in M10 more than you would in other sets, especially against heavy green: there are several game-enders, primarily (Overrun) and (Sleep), that get better with each creature the opponent has. If you don’t have one of those game-enders but are playing against a color that does, you may want to accept trades more than you might otherwise.

I’m not going to trade here despite the added incentive of possibility of facing the dumbest uncommon in the set. I have one of the dumbest rares in the set in hand, and an (Essence Scatter) to keep the opposing army from growing post combat, so I’m quite content to race. I take 3 damage, and Villain asks for permission to resolve (Bog Wraith), which I deny. I’d hoped to nail something better than a (Hill Giant) with my counterspell, but any three- to four-mana creature he casts here is worth countering.

I draw another land, leaving me no choice but to send (Baneslayer Angel) into battle, vulnerable to a (Doom Blade). If Villain has just one (Doom Blade) in the deck, there’s a 33% chance it’s in hand right now. If I had any other aggressive creature play, I would make it over the angel—a (Snapping Drake) or an (Air Elemental) would establish the removal situation pretty quickly.

I cross my fingers and run out the (Baneslayer Angel), prompting Villain to concede on the spot, suggesting there isn’t a (Doom Blade) in the deck, much less in hand. It might be that he’s just a tilty player willing to give up on his 5% chance of a comeback in frustration, but no matter what, that’s a terrible concession. Even if he truly has no outs, he shouldn’t tell me that. He has basically said, “I have no answers to a (Baneslayer Angel).”

Thanks, good to know.

R1G2

Another seven on the draw, this time a welcome 3/4 split:

image Trivial keep, my favorite response to an opening seven. If Villain doesn’t have removal or two creatures with reach or flying, this game will end quickly. My first draw is (Baneslayer Angel), and now it feels like I’m a Plains and any other land away from a win before I’ve played my first land.

I find the Plains on my next draw and make a (Stormfront Pegasus) with it. Villain answers with a (Warpath Ghoul), and because why not, I rip a three-drop in (Illusionary Servant) to stay on curve. Villain has some thoughts to share after missing his fourth land drop.

image R1G2 #1

I pull the fifth land, drop him to 13, and decide how to proceed with my four mana. (Snapping Drake) or (Wall of Faith)?

image R1G2 #2

If Villain doesn't find land or removal, playing out the (Snapping Drake) into (Baneslayer Angel) doesn't actually change the clock any, and (Illusionary Servant) is serving the bait role just fine, so I play out the wall. It's almost academic, especially if he truly can't answer (Baneslayer Angel) with his deck, but since I couldn't think of a way I was going to lose this game, I made the play I thought would best help me recover from the thing I couldn't think of. I don’t hatsee this choice as right or wrong, more conservative or aggressive.

Villain finds a Mountain and has (Act of Treason) to take out the (Illusionary Servant), and passes. I find land on top and hit for 2. Do I run out the shark or the bait post combat?

image R1G2 #3

Despite wishing I’d had the bait last time, he’s shown a willingness since to concede to a (Baneslayer Angel) hitting the table, so I want to give him that chance again. He does not disappoint.

image R1G2 #4

After reaffirming my status as an idiot for drafting, drawing, and playing (Baneslayer Angel), Villain disconnects. Classy! He did come back and concede normally after a couple minutes, I'll give him that. I'm also willing to make the "him" leap on this one: no female Magic player I've ever met would treat an opponent like that.

R2G1

I win the roll and draw my seven on the play:

image A fine opener, let's roll. Villain plays a Plains, and I have an early decision: (Merfolk Looter) or (Stormfront Pegasus) on turn two?

imageR2G1 #1

The looter is best at finding plays when you don't have good ones, but I already have good ones in this spot. I run out the attacker, and figure to be dropping the turtle on turn three, and the looter and a possible (Pacifism) on turn four if I find another land.

Villain plays an Island and casts a (Stormfront Pegasus) to match mine, and the mirror match is defined. I play the (Horned Turtle) as planned on turn three after drawing land. I could hold back and leave (Cancel) mana up, but it commits me to countering almost anything I see, and the real purpose of countermagic in this archetype is to stop mid- and late-game bombs, and to hold advantages established in the early game. I hold back the pegasus, not wanting to offer a trade at this point.

Villain untaps and attacks, knowing I won't trade. Perhaps I should have attacked last turn. How certain do I need to be of a no-block before attacking is correct? I certainly gave Villain info to work with on this turn. A (Veteran Armorsmith) joins the opposition, and I untap for turn four. What's the plan on this turn?

imageR2G1 #2

With the turtle doing a fine job on the ground, I want to leave the wall in hand for sure. That means the looter is coming out to play, but do I cast the (Pacifism) on the (Stormfront Pegasus)? I decide no. If it comes to it, I can always trade pegasi, and I'd rather save the removal for a threat I have no other answer for.

I swing for 2, play out the looter, and pass. Villain hits back for 2, makes a looter as well, and passes the turn without a fourth land drop. I untap for turn five draw a second (Pacifism), and loot up an Island. What's the right discard, and what am I casting this turn?

imageR2G1 #3

As I mentioned before, the turtle is holding the ground nicely, I'm in a mirror and likely facing all those (Snapping Drake)s and other flyers I passed, so the wall is pretty unimportant. I dump it in the bin and decide that with a second (Pacifism), a mana-short opponent, and enough mana to (Cancel) left over, it's time to pacify the pegasus.

Villain untaps, loots away a (White Knight), and casts (Magebane Armor). (Cancel) it?

imageR2G1 #4

Of course you (Cancel) that. It makes the 2/3 a 4/7, fully able to punch through the turtle. It may be the only play Villain has, stuck on three land. Only a player of questionable merit would allow (Magebane Armor) to resolve in this spot.

So, yeah, I allow (Magebane Armor) to resolve in this spot.

You know how I've talked about the vulnerabilities and weaknesses of countermagic in limited? How they preserve game states, they don't turn them around, how you can't draft them with enough density and card-drawing support to make a constructed-style permission deck, etc., etc.? Well, the result is that I don't play counterspells much in limited, and I will sometimes autopilot through countering opportunities because I'm so unused to having them. It is an absolute leak in my game, and I have a hard time working on that leak since I don't typically have many counterspells in my deck to practice with.

Anyone else biff counterspell use with any regularity like I do? Man you feel dumb. Well, now I'm staring down some tough equipment, but have to carry on. I untap, draw (Mind Control) and loot up an (Essence Scatter). What's the discard, and what do I play after?

imageR2G1 #5

I'm not discarding removal, so it's going to be one of the counterspells. Cancel costs more, but it deals with everything and can be played on the same turn as the (Pacifism) with my current mana. (Essence Scatter) goes to the graveyard. For the turn, I like (Mind Control) on his looter. He's mana screwed, and the looter is going to dig him out of it quickly. Stealing it not only takes away his key to getting unscrewed, I will be able to plow through my deck looking for big finishers with double looters going.

I attack for 2, steal the looter and pass. Villain finds a Plains on top, and (Unsummon)s his looter for a crushing reversal. The (Magebane Armor) that shouldn't exist makes its way onto the soldier, and suddenly I'm in a race again.

I untap and draw (Terramorphic Expanse), then loot up a Plains. What's the discard, and what's the plan for the turn?

imageR2G1 #6

Since I don't have an immediate use for the Plains, I ditch it, and thin my deck out with the expanse, digging up a second Plains. I'm feeling pretty stupid about the equipment, as now I feel compelled to burn the second (Pacifism) on a card that should be handled by the turtle.

I have (Cancel) mana up for the attempted replay of the looter, so at least the counterspell finally goes to a good cause. Unfortunately, Villain follows with a (Blinding Mage), which makes me want the (Cancel) back. This officially stalls out the game, and we're in a race to action spells that I hope to win with the help of my looter.

I draw (Wall of Frost), attack, and loot up my second (Cancel). Which one should I discard?

imageR2G1 #7

On the one hand, (Wall of Frost) isn't going to stop his presumed flyers, but on the other hand, it does render the (Magebane Armor) almost useless. Plus, ditching the wall and passing telegraphs countermagic, which Villain can then play around.

Because of the transparency of keeping the counterspell and the nullification of the armor, I ditch (Cancel) and play out the wall, but I think this was a mistake. The armor isn't that much of a threat right now, and telegraphing the counterspell isn't all that bad. If I get something to counter, great. If I don't, I can loot away the counterspell in an upcoming turn. The play I made basically empties my hand for no significant gain, other

Villain untaps and casts a (Razorfoot Griffin), and I wince, staring at my wall that could have been a (Cancel) for his flyer. I'm bummed, but it becomes quickly moot as I both draw and loot nothing but land for the next several turns, while Villain produces flyer after flyer until I succumb to the air force.

imageR2G1 #8

Sometimes a looter isn't enough. During sideboarding, villain complained a little bit about being mana screwed.

"You won," I replied, bitter about hearing mana complaints from the winner, when my late flood and his high spell density are actually what allowed him to overcome my looter advantage.

"A couple more Islands would have been nice, though," he replied.

"I'll trade you two Islands for a win. No? I didn't think so."

Never complain about your mana after a win, please. A little grousing after a loss is understandable, but seriously, don't complain about anything after a win. I bring in the (Solemn Offering) and head in for game two.

R2G2

On the play again, I have an insta-mull with no lands, and trade it for these six:

image

Seeing the (Illusionary Servant) makes me cringe, as I should have sided it out for anything, having seen two (Unsummon)s and a (Blinding Mage) in game one. That (Sage Owl) or the second (Horned Turtle) are looking pretty good right now. I can't mull, though, have to hope he doesn't have anything for it.

I pass turn two with (Essence Scatter) mana, and Villain casts (Stormfront Pegasus). Counter it?

imageR2G2 #1

I don't counter it, and this time it's on purpose. I already have an answer for it in hand, and even if the illusion is shattered, I have many outs to solutions for a 2/1 flying creature. I'd rather save it for a bigger threat.

Right on cue, I draw my (Razorfoot Griffin), and run out the (Illusionary Servant). Villain repeats the third turn from game one, this time using the Island on, naturally, (Unsummon) targeting the servant. What a boneheaded non-sideboard on my part.

I get the griffin down next turn after drawing more land. This stops the pegasus, but Villain adds a (Veteran Swordsmith) to the team and I am instantly up against it, taking 3 on the attack, and staring at 6 next turn unless I draw an answer.

I draw (Cancel), providing a textbook case of the frustrating inability of the counterspell to bail you out of trouble. I can do nothing but pass the turn and brace for impact. I counter Villain's (Divination) because I can, then take the 6, dropping to 9. My next two draws are both land, and that's game.

I didn't play round two as well as I would have liked, and with the 43 format, I'm booted out of the tournament. Disappointing to lose in the second round with what I felt was a very strong deck, but even strong decks need solid draws and sensible pilots to win. Even though I didn't win the event, it's hard to feel like too much of a loser when you walk away with a 27-ticket rare.

Thanks for waiting, thanks for reading, and forgive me if the editing is rough in this column, time has been short. Hopefully I'll be back on a weekly schedule now, but if you show up next Tuesday and I'm not here, my apologies for making you a character in a Beckett play.

No comments: