Pack 1 pick 1:
I know I'm taking Garruk as soon as the cards appear, so I take a minute to consider what I'm passing and what I want to look for coming up. I'm passing two good black cards, a good white card in the Harrier, and the solid Torchrunner in red. No good blue or green really, but I'm never *looking* to draft UG.
With no powerful red or green in the pack, I'm thinking RG Warrior, but I'm going to be flexible; this isn't AAA, I can make early picks on power and still end up with plenty of playables.
Pack 1 pick 2:
OK, not passing a Mulldrifter. Totally splashable, so I'm still thinking GR, and I'll look out for Fertile Ground and Vivid lands coming up.
Pack 1 pick 3:
I had Woodland Changeling ctrl-clicked for most of the countdown, but decided that a sick UW Summon/Judge Merfolk deck would be worth not running the Garruk, and that it was the most powerful card to take. If Merfolk start to flow, hopefully that Judge I just passed will table.
Pack 1 pick 4:
I hopped over to check the price on Gilt-Leaf Palace (Sell: 1.75) before deciding it wasn't worth passing the excellent Douser. No compelling red to this point, so that's feeling out.
Pack 1 pick 5:
I considered the Vivid Meadow, but decide to stick with the blue plan. Garruk is beginning to slip away...
Pack 1 pick 6:
No turning back from Merfolk now, I think. Deeptread not a great card, but solid for merfolk.dek. Also a rogue.
Pack 1 pick 7:
This is among the least-valuable of the tribal duals, but I take it anyway. Glen-Elendra Pranksters is the pick with no rare-drafting, but Pranksters has never been great for me, so I take the rare.
Pack 1 pick 8:
That's a pretty late Cloudcrown, but I'm with Merfolk now, Garruk, I'm sorry. Love having a Will, as islandwalk can be a huge factor in merfolk matches.
Pack 1 pick 9:
Maybe Merrow Commerce was the pick here, but so far I have nowhere near the deck that could actually run it in limited--i.e., Drowner/Tapper Merfolk.
Pack 1 pick 10:
No problem taking one of these guys late. Underrated in that they are treated like trash, when they are a fine pick even as a 3/3 unblockable for 5 in the board, and are not a bad maindeck card in a merfolk deck running Will.
Pack 1 pick 11:
Don't know if I'll run two, but nice to have the option if a heavy islandwalk theme develops for the deck.
Nothing else relevant in pack one.
Pack 2 pick 1:
This was tough. I have three Perfects online, and I kinda just wanted to take a fourth. They are only 2:1 online compared to $3 in physical Magic, though, so no "money" draft here.
If I don't have a Douser in my pile, I think I take the Harpoon Sniper or Veteran. I love Pestermite, though, and he counts for Douser, which pushes me over the edge. I also might be one of only two merfolk players, in which case one of the two white merfolk might table.
Pack 2 pick 2:
Great pick for UW. Probably too much to hope for either the Benthicore or Whelm to table.
Pack 2 pick 3:
Sure! Love it.
Pack 2 pick 4:
Nice reward for moving into merfolk first pack.
Pack 2 pick 5:
I don't love Neck Snap, but I think my deck needs it slightly more than a Sentinnels at this point.
Pack 2 pick 6:
Rare draft, mediocre merfolk, or a counterspell I can get behind? With the recent Reejerey pick, I go with the Rascal, but I do like BA.
Pack 2 pick 7:
Excellent, thought I was out of time to see one of these.
Pack 2 pick 8:
This card...I might give it a try. It's pretty strong to say, "You have three or four more spells to cast, then you can't cast anything else." Of course, those tend to be the three or four spells of their choice in the deck, so I don't know.
Pack 2 pick 9:
A very late Witches. I take it on general principle.
Pack 2 pick 10:
I can't see myself being desperate enough to play the Mystic, although if I open an off-color bomb in pack 3...
Pack 2 pick 11:
Again, maybe to splash something, but this land kinda sucks.
Pack 2 pick 12:
Hate to see the Peppersmoke go by this late, it's very good against the deck I have brewing here.
Pack 2 pick 13:
Clearly the Neck Snap was the righ pick earlier.
Pack 2 pick 14:
Pack 2 pick 15:
Really? Is nobody in Faeries? This changes my mentality heading into pack three. I still expect to be in UW, but I didn't really draft anything abusive for the Summon, so if black asserts itself in pack three, I can easily make that my second color. I have lots of rogues in my pile, and UB merfolk faerie rogue is an excellent archetype.
Pack 3 pick 1:
Interesting. Waterspout Weavers is pretty strong, and the Thornbite Staff is amazing against me, but I go with the removal, poised to swing into Ub.
Pack 3 pick 2:
Decision time. Schoolmaster for UW, Blackguard for UB. With so many ragues in my pile, and with many good UB rogues in this pack, I make the switch. UB merfolk faerie rogue it is.
Pack 3 pick 3:
I don't know how good Mothdust really is for this deck, but I go with it over the equipment. Certainly playable, it's all three of my tribal types...
Pack 3 pick 4:
One of the tougher picks in the draft I think. There's an amazing elf deck out there somewhere that's about to add a Wolf-Skull to its pile. Meanwhile, I have Spy, Disdain, Moonglove, and Morsel Theft all wanting a place in my choir. Schoolmaster scolds me for giving up on UW. With time winnding down, I do with the removal spell. It's unlikely that I'll get any more removal this draft.
Hopefully the Moonglove won't go to the guy who took the staff.
Pack 3 pick 5:
Blackguard number two says, "Pay those schoolmasters no mind," but she's nervously glancing at all these great elves while she says it.
Pack 3 pick 6:
So glad to get a Latchkey! Perfect for this deck.
Pack 3 pick 7:
I take this card almost out of instinct, but I think either cutting the rare from a goblin deck or taking the Poplar as a SB card against lots of one toughness is the right pick. It's doubtful this guy will make the cut.
Pack 3 pick 8:
Hmmmmm. Unplayable rare that's not worth much, a second mothdust, or the Dissolver. If I'm going to maindeck the Forced Fruition, I like the Dissolver.
Pack 3 pick 9:
Sure. Too bad he's not a rogue...
Pack 3 pick 10:
3/2 flying for 4 is solid, even if not a rogue.
Pack 3 pick 11:
Pack 3 pick 12:
Cut cut cut cut!
Pack 3 pick 13:
Eh, maybe. Probably not though.
Pack 3 pick 14:
Same...
Pack 3 pick 15:
This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!
My final deck:
1 Merrow Reejerey
1 Mulldrifter
1 Aquitect's Will
7 Swamp
2 Pestermite
1 Violet Pall
2 Oona's Blackguard
1 Fencer Clique
1 Streambed Aquitects
1 Ink Dissolver
1 Inkfathom Divers
1 Deeptread Merrow
1 Æthersnipe
2 Paperfin Rascal
1 Mothdust Changeling
1 Pack's Disdain
1 Thieving Sprite
1 Silvergill Douser
1 Forced Fruition
10 Island
1 Latchkey Faerie
1 Moonglove Extract
Sideboard
1 Final-Sting Faerie
1 Squeaking Pie Grubfellows
1 Neck Snap
1 Aquitect's Will
1 Swamp
1 Heal the Scars
1 Frogtosser Banneret
1 Sentinels of Glen Elendra
1 Ink Dissolver
1 Dreamspoiler Witches
1 Bog Hoodlums
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Prickly Boggart
1 Lys Alana Bowmaster
1 Auntie's Hovel
1 Spring Cleaning
1 Fertilid
1 Shimmering Grotto
1 Hunt Down
1 Summon the School
2 Bog-Strider Ash
1 Boggart Loggers
Round 1 - UR Faerie Elemental - surgeon
Game One
I keep a solid Island, Swamp, Douser, Pestermite, Rascal, Latchkey, Aquitects hand.
He drops a Sprite-Chaser turn two, Sunflare Shaman turn three. I'm curving out, and he stalls on three land, evoking AEthersnipe on turn four.
I draw into Muldrifter and Mothdust, allowing me to curve out and draw extra cards while i do it.
He gets a fourth land drop on turn six and starts to make it interesting with Faerie Harbinger launching the Sprite-Chaser and fetching Changeling Berserker, but by that time I have Pestermite, Mothdust, Aquitects, Douser, and Muldrifter in play and five cards in hand. For some reason he decides to race me, which is inadviseable with the Violet Pall in my hand.
Two swings laer, it's over.
1-0
Game Two
I keep a 2x Pestermite, Rascal, Land hand.
I draw into a Mothdust turn one, but he plays a turn-two Snokebraider, which gives me a sinking feeling.
My fears are realized when he plays a turn-three Thornbite Staff and Inner-Flame Acolyte. With two Pestermites in hand, this is seriously bad news.
It doesn't get any better as I draw either land or one-toughness creatures until Being overwhelmed as he curves out into the Harbinger/Berserker play.
I stall for abit with an AEthersnipe, but I'm too far behind and can't play my spells because of the Staff. I really need him not to draw the staff in game three, because I can't realistically beat it with all my one-toughness guys.
1-1
Game Three
I play first, mul twice with on-land hands, and keep a five-card of Rascal, Aquitects, 2x Swamp, Island.
surgeon keeps, and I'm feeling glum. I draw into a Deeptread Merrow on turn two to at least give me plays for turn two and three.
He drops a turn-two Sprite Chaser, and The Rascal reveals Distant Melody for him and a Blackguard for me, and we both put our cards on top.
I've drawn into Latchkey, so I'm hoping to play the Blackguard, find an Island, and Merrow --> Prowled Latchkey before he can jump his gablin with a Faerie.
He plays a turn-three Seething Pathblazer, and I get out my Blackguard. He drops an island to go with 2x mountain and Vivid Meadow, attacks with Pathblazer, and passes the turn.
Smellsl like Faerie Harbinger or Scattering Stroke, which he played in game two.
I draw a Pestermite, and try to decide how to approach the attack phase. If I swing with Rascal, he will play Harbinger, at which point I can play the Pestermite to tap down the Sprite-Chaser. He can trade with the Harbinger if he wants.
I do this, but he plays a Sentinels of Glen-Elendra instead. This sucks, as I lose my Rascal even with the Pestermite play.
He adds a Soulbright Flamekin and drops me to 16 with an attacking Pathblazer.
I draw an Ink Dissolver when I really need another Island. I drop it just the same, as I need some bodies out there.
He adds a Fire-Belly, and I draw into the Island for the landwlaking Merrow into prowled Latchkey.
He drops a Sunflare Shaman, but currently has nothing in the yard. This is turning into quite a stalled out game, but he Distant Melodys into a six-card hand, and I have just an Aquitects and an Island.
That worries me, but I also have a 6:40 to 6:34 clock lead, and I start paying close attantion to acting quickly. I try to plan my strategy during his priority.
He obliges by starting to take significant time to plot his turns, as he's trying to figure out how to get me from 14 to 0 through use of the Sunflare and attacking with key guys.
He's at 1:55, and I'm in total defense mode. He makes some hasty attacks, and I draw into the perfect card: Fencer Clique. It is still exceedingly close, but with the ability to trade with a creature and then put him back on top of my library, I am able to run him out of clock for the win.
Not the way I would like to win, but I'll take it.
Round 2 - Doc13 - RB Goblin Elemental
Game 1
I check his rating and it's 1488. That low is usually the sign of a rare drafter, but that's scary because I rare drafter who randomly has a solid deck can really screw your rating.
No land, easy mul to six where I keep four land, Paperfin Rascal, and Thieving Sprite. Ugly, but better than a random five.
He blazes out with Frogtosser turn two and Prowled Morsel Theft turn three, and I draw two lands.
I cast Rascal, lose the clash, his Tar Pitcher to my Pack's Disdain. We both keep on top.
He drops a Caterwauling Boggart, but I need to save the Pack's Disdain I draw for the Tar Pitcher, which is bad news for me. I play Theiving Sprite instead. He discards a Nectar Faerie (I can't lose to a deck runninng Nectar Faerie!), and now I at least can block and trade with either of his creatures.
He drops the Tar Pitcher, still hasn't hit fourth land, and passes the turn without an attack. I draw Aquitect's Will and cast it before Disdaininng his Pitcher, drawing into Fencer Clique.
He finds a fourth land and drops Stenchskipper, 6/5 flying, sacrfice at EOT if you control no goblinns.
Well, he controls somme goblins and I only have the Violet Pall, so now I'm staring down a Mahamoti Djinn. Ouch.
I untap and cast FEncer Clique, which I think is a mistake. My big hope here is that he attacks with Frogtosser and Caterwauling Boggart so I can Pall the Boggart and use the token to block the Banneret. Then Stenchskipper will die.
I should have just attacked with both Rascal and Sprite and passed the turn. A good player might see the play coming, but it's my best chance at a win here. Instead, I just have to take 6 from the Stenchskipper, dropping me to 8.
He Casts Giant's Ire, and I grimace again.
I screw up again by attacking with everything, probably because in my mind I know I should have done that last turn. I should leave the Sprite back to chump the Stenchskipper, and he probably attacks with the other two, allowing me do do the Pall thing.
He Morsel Thefts me after getting the Frogtooser through on the next turn, and that's that.
Ugh.
0-1
During Sideboard, I can see no cards in main or side. I finally hit "submit" and play with my game-one deck.
Game Two
On the play. I mul a one lander into a no-lander. Bah! My five-card is Aquitects, Pestermite, AEthersnipe, Island, Swap. Solid for five. Doc makes me feel better bu mulling to five himself. Now I like my chances.
I draw into a turn-two Mothdust, he drops a turn-two Banneret. Yikes! I draw into the much-needed Island and drop the Aquitects. He plays a Nectar Faerie, and general card quality starts to win out.
I draw Aquitect's Will, and I have the choice: Just play the Pestermite, or cast the will, hope to draw a land *and* play the Pestermite?
I play safe, attack with Mothdust and pass the turn. I play the Pestermite in his upkeep, intending to tap down his swamp, but I misclick and tap the Banneret. This allows him to play a Final Sting Faerie, and I feel stupid.
I draw into Thieving Sprite and have the same choice asa last time. This time I decide to gamble, and play the Will. I miss, drawing a Paperfin Rascal. This was another mistake, I should have taken the best card from his hand for sure instead of gambling on getting a fourth land in the deal.
He plays a land and Inner-Flame Acolyte targeting Final-Sting, and Nectar gives it lifelink. I trade with Pestermite, and he goes to 21.
I draw an island and cast the Thieving Sprite to take his final card, hoping it's not a land to make me look even more foolish. It's Caterwauling Boggart, so that's good at least.
He rips and casts Tar Pitcher, but he can't attack me. I cast Paperfin Rascal, finally winning a clash with it, my Inkfathom Divers to his Morsel Theft.
For some reason he keeps the Theft on top, which is just bad with me at 20 and he with no way to get a Rogue through on board. I keep Inkfathom.
From here, my Aquitects + Rascal and eventuallt Divers swing for 7 islandwalk a turn, killing him in three turns.
1-1
I get my changes made this time, adding the second Aquitects and pulling the Forced Fuition.
Game 3
I keep Island x3, AEthersnipe, Pestermite, Mothdust, Pack's Disdain.
He casts a first-turn Flamekin Brawler and I steel my resolve *not* to lose to this deck.
On my turn three I tap down a swamp with Pestermite, then trade it for his Inner-Flame Acolyte. He casts Ashling the Pilgrim, and I gulp. I was hoping to use Pack's Disdain on a non-black since Pall can't touch 'em, but the Pilgrim must die. I use up my fourth turn to Pack's Disdain it.
A few turns later he's added Facevaulter, Nectar Faerie, and Exiled Boggart. I play Aquitects and AEthresnipe, bouncing the Faerie and sitting on a Violet Pall and a land.
The life totals are 18 to 13 his lead. I like my position, I just can't let him hit me with a Rogue and start firing off Morsel Thefts. for card draws.
He untaps and plays...Stenchskipper. Ugh! Here I am with the Violet Pall I can't use on either of his goblins. This is trouble. Loss to a 1488 is now looming large.
I draw a Moonglove Extract, which makes things interesting. I hope he'll block my AEthersnipe with Stenchy, and I can Moonglove it off the board. but he chumps with the Brawler. This is a big bummer, as it even eliminates the only target on his side I could hit with the Pall. This is critical to my plan to launch the Mothdust, pump him with the Aquitects, use Pall to get a Faerie Token into play, and deal five total to Stench with the two fliers and the Extract. I drop the Exctract and pass it.
He plays a land and casts Nectar Faerie and Caterwauling Boggart and slams me down to 7 with the Stenchskipper. This is getting ugly, but there's now hope. I need him to get greedy and attack with everything. Let's see if he'll walk into it. At the very least I can kill the Stenchskipper with the Mothdust/Aquitects/Pall/Extract plan.
I draw a land and play it quickly to suggest hand weakness, passing the turn.
On his turn, he drops a loand and does me a big favor, swinging with everything: Facevaulter, Exiled Boggart, Stenchskipper, Nectar Faerie, and Caterwauling Boggart.
I go for the full-on board wipe. I launch the Mothdust with the AEthersnipe, Violet Pall the Boggart, and Extract the Exiled Boggart. In response he makes the Facevaulter a 3/3, but now I block Facevaulter with Aquitects, which self-pump, and put my two flyers in front of his two.
The stenchskipper dies at EOT, and I now have Streambeds and AEthersnipe to his empty board, which takes him from 17 to 0 in fairly short order.
WHEW!
2-1
1 comment:
Holy shit that was a hellavu ride there! So in the last game, if he doesn't swing with the squad, do you lose or does it just screw everything up or? I guess I am just wondering if he blew the game with that or was it a marginal error on his part?
Post a Comment