That's the case when I head in for my third ACR draft. The Swiss is near-empty, and the 8-4 sat at 7, as did the 4322. I take the higher risk for the higher payout, and insta-fire the 8-4 upon entering.
As it often happens, the draft capture didn't snag my first pick. Perhaps it happens when you are the 8th in, and it starts immediately? I'll have to keep an eye on this.
My Pick:
I don't remember the details of the first pack, other than it being a good spot for a first-pick triland, particularly in a comfort shard of mine after two weeks of storming RRR queues with aggro Jund decks.
Pack 1 pick 2:
My Pick:
(Infest) gets a pretty bum rap in a format where some of the best decks just roll over to a weenie sweeper. Part of the problem, it goes, is that one of the decks that rolls over to Infest are the very decks that can cast it. This is true, but it's still mass removal, and when you are the one pulling the trigger, it can still win you games.
Pack 1 pick 3:
My Pick:
I'm overvaluing trilands a bit right now, but there are worse things to overvalue. I would have passed on any triland without black for the (Hissing Iguanar), but I'm OK with the black-based options my picks afford me so far.
Pack 1 pick 4:
My Pick:
This was an important crossroads for my draft. (Fatestitcher), (Sprouting Thrinax) and (Hell's Thunder) are the considerations. Fatestitcher may be the best card of the three, but it's the worst with (Infest). (Hell's Thunder) puts me on a very black/red path and works well with Infest. The thrinax does as well, and it's comfortable for me, so I take it.
Pack 1 pick 5:
My Pick:
Sure! Two (Infest)s by pick five is something to build around.
Pack 1 pick 6:
My Pick:
I really don't know why I stretched into white for (Rakeclaw Gargantuan) when there was a perfectly good (Cavern Thoctar) in the pack. I think rakeclaw is undervalued, but Cavern Thoctar is on plan and on shard.
Pack 1 pick 7:
My Pick:
I don't have a (Rakeclaw Gargantuan) clouding my judgement on this pick.
Pack 1 pick 8:
My Pick:
This is a perfect example of a guy that black decks want that doesn't like (Infest), but really, his job is to hit for 3 or 6 before trading with a creature or single-use removal (ideal) or becoming useless or dead in the face of first strike or pingers. If (Infest) clears him away after he's done his job, it's no big tragedy.
Pack 1 pick 9:
My Pick:
No contest. This was the pack I opened.
Pack 1 pick 10:
My Pick:
I am not a fan of (non-bomb) devour, despite liking Jund, but it's a mechanic that has some synergy with (Infest). Dropping (Thunder-Thrash Elder) on turn six and eating up the creatures that are going to die to the follow-up (Infest) is a strong play.
Unfortunately, that's it for Shards playables, I didn't even counterdraft any playables from here.
Pack 2 pick 1:
My Pick:
The easy money pick, and playable (if mediocre) in my deck to boot. Without ticket considerations I would take the (Drag Down) since I was trying to be more black-red than black-green.
Pack 2 pick 2:
My Pick:
This should be a (Terminate) for the most part once I add Reborn goodies to the pile.
Pack 2 pick 3:
My Pick:
This was a borderline rare draft for me. That three-ticket range is right on the edge when there's a great spell for my deck to be had. (Drag Down) is again the pick without money considerations.
Pack 2 pick 4:
My Pick:
Pretty straightforward to snag the flexible removal/fixer when red is a core color.
Pack 2 pick 5:
My Pick:
(Suicidal Charge) is no bomb, but it works very well with (Infest), and it probably should have been the pick here, but felt certain the one in pack two would table. I know I have the (Fiery Fall) and the Esper triland to help support a possible white splash, which contributed to the decision.
Pack 2 pick 6:
My Pick:
Um, goes well with (Infest)? Not really. (Gluttonous Slime) feels superior in hindsight. I dismissed (Kederekt Parasite) for being basically non-interactive after turn two, and for being dead after Infest, but I could also see it doing non-trivial amounts of damage if left unanswered. I'd take (Gluttonous Slime) on a do-over.
Pack 2 pick 7:
My Pick:
A pretty lousy card, but I'm developing a minor devour theme (throws up a little), and I foresake another (Suicidal Charge) for it.
Pack 2 pick 8:
My Pick:
A counterdraft with no playables in the pack.
Pack 2 pick 9:
My Pick:
While annoying to see a (Sludge Strider) 9th when you aren't in Esper, I should have taken the weak (Nacatl Outlanders) that at least has some chance of making my deck.
Pack 2 pick 10:
My Pick:
Yep, there it is. (Voices of the Void) was pretty killer in CCC, but not here.
Pack 2 pick 11:
My Pick:
Not great because of the threat-of-activation mana it demands, but (Pestilent Kathari) is surprisingly annoying for decks without pingers. If you have time to set it up, it can actually draw out top-shelf removal, which isn't bad for 11th pick.
Pack 2 pick 12:
My Pick:
It does make anything its on immune to (Infest), but that doesn't make it good.
Pack 2 pick 13:
My Pick:
If I play two of these, something has gone horribly wrong. Heck, if I play one, it can't possibly be a draft to brag about.
Pack 3 pick 1:
My Pick:
This deck doesn't pass a (Terminate) for much, but the incredible (Bituminous Blast) is one of them.
Pack 3 pick 2:
My Pick:
(Mage Slayer) is slow and belongs in high-power Naya, (Demonspine Whip) is uninsipiring, and so I basically commit to a white splash over taking the (Monstrous Carabid). I'm sacrificing consistency for power with this pick, but given my playable count, I will likely be forced to play (Rakeclaw Gargantuan) and (Paragon of the Amesha) as it is, so I might as well take a white card worth splashing for.
Pack 3 pick 3:
My Pick:
The (Infest)-friendly (Rhox Brute) over the one-toughness flyer.
Pack 3 pick 4:
My Pick:
I'm hoping to see multiple (Putrid Leeches) in this pack, as it's a close-to-ideal two drop for me.
Pack 3 pick 5:
My Pick:
I didn't have the guts to try (Necromancer's Covenant), especially when it involved pushing a white splash farther. I'm generally resistent to taking a chance on untested rares that aren't obvious bombs, especially ones that four other players passed. Would I like this card if for the same cost it said, "Put three black 2/2 zombie tokens with lifelink into play?" I probably would.
Pack 3 pick 6:
My Pick:
On color, cycles, survives (Infest) and can be a two-for-one.
Pack 3 pick 7:
My Pick:
Pack 3 pick 8:
My Pick:
The late (Ethersworn Shieldmage) combined with those late Esper cards in Conflux suggest there's only one Esper drafter at the table. Maybe I should jump into it. It wouldn't hurt my deck quality all that much at this point.
Pack 3 pick 9:
My Pick:
Since it appears I will be playing at least one or two devour creatures, I'm happy to pick up a (Kathari Bomber).
Pack 3 pick 10:
My Pick:
I rare draft in wonderment at the Esper deck I could have had.
Pack 3 pick 11:
My Pick:
Seriously? I've counterdrafted so much Esper I may have a legitimate build at this point.
Pack 3 pick 12:
My Pick:
I see this guy in every draft, I swear.
Pack 3 pick 13:
My Pick:
Playable Esper.
Pack 3 pick 14:
My Pick:
Playable Esper. I need to take a look at the first pack again and see if there was an Esper crossroads where I could have ended up with a bonkers Esper deck.
P1P4 (Sprouting Thrinax) over (Fatestitcher) is really where I turned hard away from Esper and into Jund. I don't think it was an incorrect pick at the time given the Infest, but if I take the Fatestitcher there, my next few picks would have actually been more Grixis than Esper, and then the rest of the pack was really weak. Who knows.
Well, this is a bit of a train wreck, with many clear pick mistakes. The top half of my deck looks great, but the bottom half is a real pile. I make the best of it and submit the following deck:
M10 Challenge: I am looking at all of my games with the new combat-damage rules in mind. Would anything be different under M10 rules? In particular, does anyone do anything with damage on the stack?
R1G1
I look at my seven on the draw:
I kinda hate this opening hand as it contains three of the bottom-rung cards in my deck. However, it has turn-three Jundatron, a creature, and removal. I hate it, but I can't ship it either. Wow, it drives the draft home, though: I'm splashing a (Paragon of the Amesha). *facepalm*
Reasons You Might Have a Train Wreck (in your best Jeff Foxworthy). "If your white splash includes a (Paragon of the Amesha) that can't realistically activate...you might have a train wreck."
First action (not counting mutual borderposts) is on my T3 when he counters my (Kathari Screecher) with (Lapse of Certainty), then untaps for the T4 (Messenger Falcon).
I replay the (Pestilent Kathari) on my turn over casting (Dark Temper). I've drawn land, borderpost, and the awe-inspiring bomby goodness of the (Hellkite Hatchling). He gets in an extra point with a main-phase (Leonin Amorguard) to buff his falcon, and I'm in a bad spot straight away.
I pull a (Rhox Brute) on T5 which gives me some hope, but now I face a choice: play out the (Rhox Brute) or leave (Pestilent Kathari) mana up?
I passed the turn. The critical piece that led to this choice was the (Dark Temper). With instant-speed removal as a response, a couple of good things can happen. The best would be that the threat of the kathari holds off his attack, he casts a great creature, and I (Dark Temper) it.
Another likely scenario is that he uses removal on the kathari, which I can respond to with (Dark Temper). A (Pestilent Kathari) drawing out removal is a great result when you have something to do at instant speed in response. They've used up an early pick to take out your late pick, and you've still use your mana efficiently.
If I don't have the (Dark Temper), I swing for one and play the (Rhox Brute) to ensure good tempo.
He untaps, plays a land, and (Resounding Thunder)s my (Pestilent Kathari). Now I'm not saying I love the kathari or anything, but sometimes he forces your opponent to use quality removal on him to get anything done. The more common occurrence is when you successfully draw out removal, but have no way to utilize the mana you were saving for his ability.
We are going to respond with (Dark Temper), but on which creature? The evasive 2-power, or the non-evasive 3-power?
I chose the (Leonin Armorguard), but I think this was incorrect. My thinking was that I'd cast the (Hellkite Hatchling) with devour before I was dead to the (Messenger Falcon), making the better play the one that saved the most damage. I have the (Rhox Brute) coming, though, and if he doesn't have an answer, the (Messenger Falcons) will do far more damamge than the (Leonin Armorguard).
Honestly, part of what affected my decision is how much it sucks to use removal on cantrip creatures. It feels like burning money, no matter what set. Anyone who has ever (Tarfire)d a (Mulldrifter) knows what I'm talking about. The board is the board, though; it doesn't matter where that permanent that's killing you came from, deal with it
He casts (Cylian Sunsinger) post combat, which is pretty grim for me. I need to draw help or start setting up for a double block. Instead, I draw a (Thunder-Thrash Elder), which reminds me of how badly this deck can whiff when it mostly draws the bottom end.
He untaps and attacks. I have to let it through, and he pumps the (Cylian Sunsinger) twice to hit me for 10. I'm at 5 life, draw a Forest, and pass rather than play my (Hellkite Hatchling) and give him extra information. About what a total donk I am. He (Soul's Fire)s me before combat for the win.
R1G2
I swap in the (Spore Burst) and am greeted with these on the play:
I hate to mulligan with this deck on the play, but I can't keep this. Man, that (Paragon of the Amesha) stinks in this deck. Paragon of the Virtual Mulligan is more like it. Perhaps I should be cutting the knight for that (Maniacal Rage).
Much better. With Villain in Naya, we can even cast the walking mulligan with this hand, and if there's a better T2 on the play in Alara draft than (Putrid Leech), please make your case in the commments.
I draw into (Sprouting Thrinax), and drop the leech on T2. He has a Forest and a Plains but no play, which means he is going to be way behind without a (Path to Exile). I draw (Igneous Pouncer), swing for 4, and drop the (Sprouting Thrinax).
Villain hits Nayatron and passes the turn without a play. I pull a Mountain and mistakenly play it, regretting it instantly. The (Exotic Orchard) enables my only play in the (Paragon of the Amesha), so I feel like I've Timewalked myself. I need to play out the rest of the turn correctly at least. What's your plan with this board?
The no-play from Villain is extremely suspicious. We've seen (Resounding Thunder), and that feels like the setup here. The play is to attack without pumping the leech. If he doesn't have removal, fine, he's dropped to 11 and not played a spell yet. If he does have removal, I pump the leech, he kills it, and he is immediately back in this game.
It's probably just as well I biffed the land play. If I play the (Paragon of the Amesha), he has a good target for his burn. In the same way I hated using removal on his (Messenger Falcon), he probably can't bring himself to thunder the (Sprouting Thrinax), whether it would be correct or not.
He untaps and drops a (Rhox Brute), and I hope to pull something good while he's tapped out. I rip (Spore Burst) and wish it was a (Maniacal Rage). Turning the (Sprouting Thrinax) into a 5/5 seems pretty great in this spot. Spore burst doesn't stink, though, when Villain is this far back on his heels.
What's your plan for the turn with the board below?
The (Spore Burst) is actually pretty good for us if he has a burn spell. The play is to swing with both and cast the (Spore Burst) regardless of his block. Either he trades with the leech or takes 4 and makes three 1/1s. Either is great, and we add three more to the table after.
I make another mistake and hold the (Sprouting Thrinax) back. I want him to break my 3/3 into pieces, there's no good reason to hold him back unless he has (Volcanic Fallout) and a second red source.
I'm still in a strong position, but I make another error and drop the (Paragon of the Amesha) instead of casting the (Spore Burst). With correct play, I have a (Putrid Leech) and six 1/1s right now with an opponent at 7.
He plays a Mountain and passes with six cards in hand. I draw a (Hellkite Hatchling) (who would be *drooling* with six 1/1s in play), and swing with the team. He blocks the (Paragon of the Amesha), and if I pump the leech, he'll be looking at 7 damage, but there's no way the leeches ever see 4/4 if I do that. I'm content to hit him for 5 if he doesn't want to pull the trigger.
He makes no play, so either I'm playing around nothing, or he just can't see a way to win if he takes out my thrinax. I make tokens, he untaps and taps out for a couple of chumps, but it's not enough to stop my swarm.
I made some misplays, but the hand was strong enough for it not to matter. I correctly played around (Resounding Thunder), though, and I get a shot at game three.
R1G3
I find another strong seven:
Go go T2 leech!
He summons a T1 (Wild Nacatl), I drop (Savage Lands), he plays (Cylian Sunsinger) off a Plains and hits me for 2. The leech will be vital to combating his hot start, especially if he hits T3 Nayatron.
I drop the leech, and he does have the Mountain for the (Cylian Sunsinger) activation threat. He doesn't swing with the (Wild Nacatl), which suggests he has no burn or pump. If he's holding (Magma Spray) or (Resounding Thunder), he has a free attack with the Kird Kitty.
Post combat he brings out a borderpost and a (Stun Sniper), and he's making my big leech play look meek. This would be a spot for an (Infest) to bring us closer to even again.
I don't pull the Infest, but I do find a (Dark Temper). What's the play on this board?
That (Stun Sniper) is a huge pain, but if I take it out, I just end up taking five a turn from the (Cylian Sunsinger). The other option is to bait a sunsinger pump and then take it out in response, dealing with the creature the leech can't and using up his turn in the process.
The problem with that play is that it leaves me unable to cast (Goblin Deathraiders) without it being a quasi-chump for the (Stun Sniper). If I can find an answer for the sniper or another body, I should be in decent shape, though, and I think that's what to play for in this spot.
It goes as planned; he taps my leech, swings and pumps, and I take out the sunsinger as he drops me to 13 with the (Wild Nacatl).
I rip (Infest) off the top, and looking at it now, the play here seems clear:
Go to 11 to pump the leech, and take out the (Stun Sniper) with (Infest). I have solid options for the next couple turns, and should play to them.
Instead I get cute and greedy and pass the turn, willing to take 3 damage for a shot at a 2:1 with the (Infest). Mistake? I think so. The risk would be more justified if I had a Swamp or a Mountain instead of the Plains, then I can at least count on (Infest) into (Goblin Deathraiders) next turn.
It could work out, but I'll feel awfully stupid if he hits me for three and then plays something that doesn't die to (Infest).
In an interesting play on his part, he doesn't tap my leech; he swings in with the Wild Nacatl and offers the trade. I feel I have no choice but to accept and spring any traps, so I block, pump, and wait for it.
He has (Gleam of Resistance), and I begin plotting for life without my leech. The plot should have started with cycling the (Ridge Rannet) to double my chances at a black or red source to enable the (Infest)/(Goblin Deathbringers) play, but I decide that the 6/4 for 7 side of the rannet is somehow my golden ticket.
In lieu of playing well, I decide to be lucky instead, ripping (Bituminous Blast).
I manage not to get cute, and I cast the blast targeting the Wild Nacatl while he's tapped out. Sadly, it flips a (Pestilent Kathari), which will at least distract the (Stun Sniper) for a turn.
You know, that (Stun Sniper) that would be dead right now if I play the (Infest) correctly two turns ago. Yeah...
Instead, on his sixth turn he casts (Beacon Behemoth) and takes out the kathari. I draw a Mountain, and can either Infest and then play the raiders to trade with the behemoth, or drop the (Cavern Thoctar).
I decide to maximize mana and play the Thoctar, knowing he can tap it down and swing for 5. My theory is that I can stabilize right after that, but again, I make the wrong play. It's starting to make me physically ill to review this game, where I'm on about an error a turn clip, now.
My immediate goal is to kill the sniper and trade with the behemoth, something perfectly set up with an Infest/Deathraiders play.
Instead, he draws into (Demonspine Whip), plays a land, taps my 5/5, equips, pumps, and hits me for 8. I appear determined to find a way to lose this match.
Unfortunately for he Villain, my deck won't let me, feeding me a (Crystallization) to deal with the (Beacon Behemoth) and finally, at long last, three turns later than I should have, I (Infest) away the (Stun Sniper).
After I attack, of course. I manage not to screw that up.
He makes no play on his turn, while I pull another land to reach (Ridge Rannet) mana. I knock him down to 10 and drop the 6/4, giving him a one-turn clock.
He finds (Vagrant Plowbeasts) and I'm thinking I'm in trouble again, but he taps out to do it and has to trade with the (Cavern Thoctar).
After I knock him to 4 and play out the Deathraiders, he chats "Let's see how I topdeck. Stupid (Crystallization)."
He untaps, whiffs, and shows me what he was talking about by casting (Soul's Fire), but the behemoth is exiled (see what I did there?) in response.
I win despite all my best efforts to throw game three. Better lucky than good? Sheesh. Here's the sick part: I really thought my review of this match was going to show how my solid play overcame a trainwreck draft. Instead, the review shows my trainwreck play failing to fail because I'm a lucksack. Humbling.
Self delusion was easier when replays were busted and I wasn't writing walkthroughs.
R2G1
I win the toss and pull seven on the play:
Wow, even the presence of the (Hellkite Hatchling) can't wreck my love of this grip. Villain mulls to six, and we're off.
T2 I rip an (Infest) and drop the (Putrid Leech). He answers with a (Vedalken Outlander), which is annoying, but it should die to (Infest) at some point.
I hit for 4 and summon the (Sprouting Thrinax) as planned, having drawn (Suicidal Charge). He matches my Jundatron with Espertron on T3 and makes a (Frontline Sage) with it. I draw (Dark Temper), swing for another 4 with the leech and pass.
He loots away a (Jhessian Zombie), plays a second Island and passes with Esper mana up. He mulliganed, so it's possible he simply has no play, but my radar is up for (Ethersworn Shieldmage) or (Soul Manipulation).
I rip the second Swamp and drop it into play. What's your plan for the turn with the board below?
I'm going to swing with the leech and see what happens. If he does nothing, I can pump then (Infest) without fear of (Soul Manipulation). If he has (Ethersworn Shieldmage), I will lose the leech, but will still get a 3:2 with a post combat (Infest). That's what I think the play is sitting here now, let's see if I botched this one at the time, too.
Yup. I swing in, he declines to block, I pump the leech and...pass the turn. This is pure (Infest) greed, Godot. You have a 2:1. (Soul Manipulation) can't stop it. His board would be empty, your board would have (Putrid Leech) and (Sprouting Thrinax) with (Goblin Deathraiders) and (Dark Temper) in hand!
This draft is pretty embarrassing to share with the world. Yes, I am an 1800 limited player, can you tell? The lesson here: don't let sweeper greed keep you from doing the right thing at the right time because you want to gamble on something even more advantageous.
He cycles (Valley Rannet) for a Forest at EOT, drops a fifth land and (Oblivion Ring)s my leech and taps out for an (Armillary Sphere). My greedy dreams of him playing out something for even more of an (Infest) blowout are dashed.
I should be attacking into his empty board, dropping him to 5, and adding a Goblin Deathraiders to the team, ready to (Dark Temper) away any blockers for the win next turn. Instead, sweeper greed has left me with work to do:
With him at 8, I think the play is to Infest, swing for 1, and drop the deathraiders. Naturally, because I am trying to prove to the world that rating means nothing, I don't do this. I swing in, immediately ask myself what the hell I'm doing, get blocked, and then can't play the Infest unless I want to break the Thrinax.
All things considered, that's probably still the right play, but I cast (Suicidal Charge) instead, partially because of mistake shame. Anyone else guilty of mistake shame? Screwing up a play, then screwing it up more because it disguises your first misplay? There ought to be a clinical term for that.
He cracks his sphere in his first main, so I sac the (Suicidal Charge) in response. I don't want him to loot with land in hand, and I want that (Vedalken Outlander) attacking and out of the way. He declines to loot in response, which is either a mistake or an indication of a blue spell in hand.
He has full domain with all but green up, and passes. I draw a pain-free (City of Brass) in (Exotic Orchard), swing for 3, then finally (Infest). He uses (Resounding Wave) to savee his pro-red bear, and I play out the deathraiders.
He replays (Vedalken Outlanders) and adds (Esper Cormorants) to its side. I draw a Mountain and consider my options:
I can either take out the Cormorants preattack with (Dark Temper), or wait until he blocks. Because of the trample, I think he'll put the Cormorants on the Deathraiders to prevent the most damage.
I attack in, and he does exactly that, allowing me to (Dark Temper) the (Esper Cormorants) and trample for the full three, leaving me with both creatures and him at 2.
To really rub in my mistakes, he finds a (Bull Cerodon) on top, swings me to 8, and laughs at my guys. Man, if I don't draw something, I may be forced to...play my (Hellkite Hatchling). How embarrassing.
Thankfully, I mise (Igneous Pouncer) and kill him with a far less humiliating creature.
So, to show off, I give him a few extra turns, then beat him anyway. That's so pro.
He may have had the (Resounding Wave) for the turn I ought to have played the (Infest) the first time, in which case things would have stayed clogged, but it was still a poor decision.
I don't know if my walkthroughs are helping others at all, but it has been pretty eye-opening for me. Again, I remembered playing this game well, and instead I catch myself slowplaying mass removal with near-disasterous results for the second time this draft.
I'd really be making a great case for (Infest) in Alara-block drafting if I could find it within myself to play it correctly.
R2G2
Villain chooses to play last, looking for an extra card for more-reliable mana. I get these seven:
No red sources, but a T1 (Noble Hierarch) into T2 (Pestilent Kathari) is enough action for me to take my chances with a keep.
Villain keeps as well and shows Island. I mise a Mountain and for a second think I have T2 (Sprouting Thrinax), but no, that is not, in fact, a (Birds of Paradise). I settle for the (Pestilent Kathari) and pass.
He plays a Forest and passes, which is great to see. Nothing warms my heart like an opponent with no T2 play in Alara. I pull a (Savage lands) but play the Mountain to get down the thrinax while hitting for 2 with an exalted kathari.
He plays a Mountain for the turn-three...uh...Randatron, and passes. Smells like (Resounding Wave) based on last game, which would be fine with me. I draw (Putrid Leech) and send in the boys, and he does (Resounding Wave) my thrinax.
I replay it and pass, and he drops a second Island and passes. I'm happy to see him missing white.
I draw (Thunder-Thrash Elder) and swing into his untapped mana again. No response, he drops to 13. Playing the leech is obvious, but what about the TTE? Play him? If so, sacrificing what?
I think standing pat is correct. I have 8 damage coming it him next turn, and if I pull a land, I can (Fiery Fall) any blocker he makes.
Granted, if I TTE and sac the (Noble Hierarch) and (Sprouting Thrinax), I'll have lethal damage on my next attack. I think that play is too aggressive, though, and needlessly overextends when I have a big advantage right now.
For once, I agree with the play I made in the game after the fact. Is anyone else going for the turn-six win, here?
He double-cycles at the end of my turn, and if he's digging that furiously, I don't think my choice is going to matter. He untaps, chats, "Bleh, no white" and concedes.
Off to the finals in an 8-4 trainwreck played badly. There's no justice in Magic.
R3G1
I lose the roll and assess my seven for the draw:
Looks good, easy keep. He plays a Swamp and passes, I draw (Noble Hierarch) and play (Savage Lands), he plays a Mountain and a T2 (Grixis Grimblade).
I pull a Forest and have to decide whether or not to play the (Noble Hierarch) given the (Infest) in hand.
I don't have a compelling four-drop to accelerate to, but I also don't have the second black for the (Infest) yet. I think the play is to swampcycle now, (Sprouting Thrinax) T3, and T4 (Infest)/(Noble Heirarch) if he plays even one more creature with two toughness.
In actuality, I play the (Noble Hierarch), but I had a reason. My deck is not great and is an underdog to any other 2-0 deck. I felt like if I showed him (Noble Hierarch) and (Sprouting Thrinax) to open the game, he might accept a split.
He cycles (Architects of Will), hits me for two, plays an Island for Grixatron, and passes.
I draw (Thunder-Thrash Elder), play Forest and (Sprouting Thrinax), and offer the split. He decilnes. Well, he ignores. OK, be that way! I'll kick your ass! Noble swings for one, and Villain is up.
He plays (Kederekt Creeper), which is a bummer at three toughness. I take three from the (Grixis Grimblade), he misses his land drop and passes. I draw my favorite bloodsucker and plot how to beat this guy with this board and hand:
No matter what, we make the obvious attack with (Sprouting Thrinax). Eventually we want to make a big (Thunder-Thrash Elder) and then (Infest). That play is no good if he still has the (Kederekt Creeper), though, so we we'll take any reasonable trade for it. He declines to block.
(Putrid Leech) or (Kathari Bomber)?
I maximize my mana and cast the bomber, because a 1/1 token will be a big help trading for the creeper and eventually making a big (Thunder-Thrash Elder).
He hits with the (Kederekt Creeper) and plays (Parasitic Strix) for the four-point swing, but fails to produce his fourth land.
I get a forest and have TTE-(Infest) mana, but still need to kill the creeper, so I make two tokens with an exalted (Kathari Bomber) to set up the trade, and play the leech.
He cracks with the (Parasitic Strix) and the (Kederekt Creeper), and I block with (Sprouting Thrinax) and a goblin token, leaving me with four 1/1s and a (Kederect Creeper)-free board. He adds another (Parasitic Strix) for me to annihilate next turn.
Attack before (Infest)? With which guys?
His (Grixis Grimblade) is mortal again and he's got a big life lead and flyers. I think if I swing with everything but the (Noble Hierarch), he'll only block a token. I'm wrong.
Makes sense, he knows I have to activate the leech to save it, and he's happy to have me at 5 with his flyers, so much so that he doesn't even put the strix in harm's way to take out a token. My leech hits the graveyard and I make a 16/16 (Thunder-Thrash Elder) before (Infest)ing away his team.
He finally draws his fourth land and makes a (Grixis Sojourners), but (Bituminous Blast) clears the way for the win.
R3G2
I have these seveon on the draw:
No green, but I have (Infest) and the mana for it, which is good enough to keep against this opponent. My first two draws are (Thunder-Thrash Elder) and (Kathari Bomber), so I can roll the dice on another big TTE even if I don't draw green, now.
He plays a (Kathari Screecher) off two Islands and a Swamp, and I draw a Forest to lay the turn-three (Sprouting Thrinax). He swings with the screecher and finds a Mountain, but doesn't make a play. He obviously has an instant, but I'm happy to have him kill the (Sprouting Thrinax) or counter/kill the (Kathari Bomber), so he can do his worst.
His worst is an end-of-turn (Drag Down) on the bomber, which is fine with me. He adds a (Parasitic Strix) leaving UB up, and I add another victim to my future (Infest). In the meantime, I untap and can play the (Rakeclaw Gargantuan) or unearth the (Kathari Bomber).
The only relevant spell he could have is (Agony Warp). If he has it and I unearth, he could split a potential (Agony Warp) to kill both my guys, but that leaves me with three 1/1s and the (Thunder-Thrash Elder)/(Infest) play off any land, which isn't a bad worst-case scenario. I swing in.
He takes it, goes to 12 and I make two 1/1s. I'm in good shape; great shape if he can't muster anything with more than two toughness. He can't, untapping and summoning a (Sewn-Eye Drake). He gets in for 7, but a blowout is around the corner if I can draw any land.
I mise the Plains, swing for 5, make a 7/7 (Thunder-Thrash Elder) and crush his dreams.
He concedes after drawing, and I consider myself extremely lucky to take down 8 packs after a rough draft and mistake-riddled play. These are the drafts I try to remember when I draft a monster and screw, flood, or mulligan out of the first round.
I didn't notice any scenarios in which M10 combat rules would have affected player choices or outcome, despite the presence of bounce spells in the games. Let me know if you think I missed one.
No comments:
Post a Comment