Sunday, September 28, 2008

9/27 SSE Draft #2

This was an 8-4 SSE draft from Saturday night, 9/27/08.

Pack 1 pick 1:







I'm usually a Silkbind guy in this spot, but I had just lost to a 1630 player in the 4-3-2-2 queue (I'll post that draft later) playing a monored deck, and I felt like forcing the red here having just lost to it.

Pack 1 pick 2:







The Warcrawler is pretty good and I am continuing to pass some nice blue, but if I'm trying for monored, let's take the archetypical cards for it.


Pack 1 pick 3:





I considered the witch as, at the very least, a 2/1 for 2 in red, but Cinder felt like the more useful pick for monored.


Pack 1 pick 4:





The correct pick here is really Tatterkite I think, but I honestly missed it, was scanning for red and basically glossed over the solid artifact that gives monored some kind of air force.


Pack 1 pick 5:





Love this card for monored, makes combat so difficult for opponents.


Pack 1 pick 6:





I also love those red hill giants for monored. The ability is frequently relevant against exactly the decks you need it against.

Pack 1 pick 7:







Pack 1 pick 8:






Should be worth throwing a couple swamps in the final build for this card.

Pack 1 pick 9:






A card I've been wanting to try. Seems good for the archetpye, plays nicely with Ember Gale, and a 1/4 wither when blocked or blocking isn't terrible, at least it chips away at opposing defenders when it doesn't hit for 4.

Pack 1 pick 10:





Glad he came around, fantastic for the white matchup.

Pack 1 pick 11:








Pack 1 pick 12:








Pack 1 pick 13:







Pack 1 pick 14:







Pack 1 pick 15:








Pack 2 pick 1:






A very tough pick. Rage reflection is pretty sick in monored, but revoval with a body seemed even better to me. Dropping some random threats 1-3 and then clearing away a blocker on turn four with Redcap is a recipe for winning in this archetype.


Pack 2 pick 2:






Kinda weak for pick two, but it's the card.


Pack 2 pick 3:






I don't like passing the Oracle, but I can't worry about that staring at a Gouger.

Pack 2 pick 4:






Now passing a Prison Term. Heckuva white deck I'm passing.

Pack 2 pick 5:









Pack 2 pick 6:








Pack 2 pick 7:









Pack 2 pick 8:








Pack 2 pick 9:

I disconnect until P3P1 at this point. There aren't many great wheel picks based on the packs the first time around, but still sucks, I at least want to cut opposing playables.

Pack 3 pick 1:






Thankfully I make it back on in time to snag this bomb for my deck.


Pack 3 pick 2:






Love me some Bandit. That clout will probably table, so I'm looking to snag UR mimics and hedge-mages, and of course a hatchling would be sick.

Pack 3 pick 3:






Pyromancer again is sick in this archetype, generally hitting the opponent for 1.5-2 per turn. If you can get a Flame Jab in the yard, it becomes a solid 2-per-turn minimum. Passing Bliss and Reap physically painnful, though.


Pack 3 pick 4:






I was feeling pretty good about my 4-drops, and a good sideboard card like this guy is great. He proved critical in my finals match.


Pack 3 pick 5:






Cutting the Cenn's might havee been correct here, but I have an Ember Gale to wipe 'em out. :)


Pack 3 pick 6:






Close call between this and the Hedge-Mage, but I felt I was better off getting the Mimic to cast ahead of the two nice three-drop UR cards in my pile.


Pack 3 pick 7:








Pack 3 pick 8:








Pack 3 pick 9:






Sweet, I dared not hope he would table, but there he is for me. Now get me that Clout!



Pack 3 pick 10:





Yoink!


Pack 3 pick 11:






Perfect, I'm loving the UR component, here. Just missing a Hatchling.

Pack 3 pick 12:








Pack 3 pick 13:








Pack 3 pick 14:








Pack 3 pick 15:







Pack 1 picks:





Pack 2 picks:





Pack 3 picks:




This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!


The Deck:

1 Crag Puca
1 Cinder Pyromancer
1 Giantbaiting
1 Slinking Giant
1 Sootwalkers
1 Mudbrawler Cohort
1 Intimidator Initiate
1 Heartlash Cinder
1 Crackleburr
1 Ashenmoor Gouger
1 Burn Trail
1 Rustrazor Butcher
1 Scuzzback Marauders
1 Clout of the Dominus
1 Mudbrawler Raiders
1 Murderous Redcap
1 Ember Gale
1 Cultbrand Cinder
1 Bloodmark Mentor
1 Torrent of Souls
1 Noggle Bandit
2 Riverfall Mimic
15 Mountain
2 Swamp

Relevant Sideboard
1 Battlegate Mimic
1 Crimson Wisps
1 Hotheaded Giant
1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
1 Smash to Smithereens
1 Boggart Arsonists
1 Blight Sickle

I went 3-0 fairly handily, 2-0 in the first two matches, and 2-1 in a tough finals.

1 comment:

Marshall said...

silkbind, I am a slut for that card for some reason. I think its cause I like being able to go into white.
briarberry cohort- i like the flask, the spriggan, the warcrawler, and the consign to dream, but I like cheap flyers the most
Repel intruders seems right
Tatterkite
Pili pala, sucky pack, but maybe i can abuse it with a knack later.
hmm last breath or TtM.. ill take the mist
hill giant
inkfathom witch
gatewarden
consign, wisps, or elsewhere flask... probably go flask here, in case i can get a flow of ideas or something later
advice from the Fae
gatewarden
drowner
wisps
smash

P2
hm tempting to slpash red for the power and pilipala... but i take ballynock cohort
armored ascension
probably cut the gouger
damn pick 4 prison term huh. sweet.
safehold elite
thougtweft gambit? lame
hm prismwake or cut the druid. I guess prismwake
resplendant mentor
then my computer crashes, i swear a lot, and proceed to pack 3..

P3
snakeform or loyal gryfalcon. Love the snakeformage. Ill take it.
noggle bandit
recumbant bliss
prob go RW hedge mage here
enlistment
gwillion
prob go zealot here, but the edge of divinity is tempting.
spellduster
bridgebreaker
clout of the dominus
enlistment (if its not the one i already took)
apparition
hoof skulkin
giant
bonegnawer

pretty interesting to see just how much that first pick can affect things down the line. I guess the lesson is to remain open early?